Exploring Egypt 1980

These images are from my first trip overseas when I was 27. Ancient Egypt fascinated me since childhood, so when I won a roundtrip airline ticket to anywhere in the world of my choice in 1980, Cairo was the immediate choice. None of my friends were able to go with me, so I went with a tour group. I recently discovered my slides were deteriorating so I finally scanned them.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Former Californian and Peace Corps Volunteer (Togo 1996-98). Weapon of choice: Canon Powershot A410. My occasionally updated blog is at http://roadtoveracruz.wordpress.com and another occasionally updated blog about my two-year stay in an African village is at http://handfulofmemories.wordpress.com

Thursday, February 09, 2006

People

I met some interesting people on my trip, and some I captured only in passing. I wondered whether this man grew the garlic he was taking to market or whether he only sold it.

This young girl was very happy and carefree. I wonder what her life is like now.

Going to Egypt without riding a camel was unthinkable. At a rest stop, I got my chance and took a quick turn on a rent-a-camel. The camel guys were happy to pose with me, for a little baksheesh.

I gave them the tour-guide-recommended tip, but they thought they could get more out of me by arguing loudly about the amount. I was a bit overwhelmed because there were three of them (the third guy was taking the picture), all complaining at the same time. One of the men in my tour group saw that I was having trouble extricating myself, and he rescued me. He came over and asked them what they wanted with his "wife", and they backed off immediately. I laugh about that experience every time I think about it.

Learning the secrets of the desert from the camel's mouth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home