Exploring Egypt 1980

These images are from my first trip overseas when I was 27. Ancient Egypt fascinated me since childhood, so when I won a roundtrip airline ticket to anywhere in the world of my choice in 1980, Cairo was the immediate choice. None of my friends were able to go with me, so I went with a tour group. I recently discovered my slides were deteriorating so I finally scanned them.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Former Californian and Peace Corps Volunteer (Togo 1996-98). Weapon of choice: Canon Powershot A410. My occasionally updated blog is at http://roadtoveracruz.wordpress.com and another occasionally updated blog about my two-year stay in an African village is at http://handfulofmemories.wordpress.com

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Abu Simbel


Abu Simbel is the temple that was cut into pieces and reassembled on higher ground so it would not be submerged by the reservoir after the Aswan Dam was built.

The magnificence of these figures of Rameses cannot be overstated. To understand that the statues are 90 feet tall may be impressive, but to stand in front of them and be dwarfed by them is another thing entirely.

We arrived early in the morning, as temperatures here frequently exceed 100 degrees F. At 8 a.m. it was already over 90. But the temple is so astonishing you could almost forget how stunningly hot it was.


Our guide at the Abu Simbel site was kind enough to allow me to take his picture.

In this photo I am standing to the right of the temple entrance next to one of my tour group members. I'm the speck wearing a light colored shirt and dark slacks.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home