Exploring Egypt 1980

These images are from my first trip overseas when I was 27. Ancient Egypt fascinated me since childhood, so when I won a roundtrip airline ticket to anywhere in the world of my choice in 1980, Cairo was the immediate choice. None of my friends were able to go with me, so I went with a tour group. I recently discovered my slides were deteriorating so I finally scanned them.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Former Californian and Peace Corps Volunteer (Togo 1996-98). Weapon of choice: Canon Powershot A410. My occasionally updated blog is at http://roadtoveracruz.wordpress.com and another occasionally updated blog about my two-year stay in an African village is at http://handfulofmemories.wordpress.com

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sakkara


Sakkara is the site of the famous Step Pyramid. In the early stages of pyramid construction, this was the way they were built. The Giza Pyramids are of a much later design. The Step Pyramid was designed by the architecht Imhotep, who later became a king.

The buildings in the foreground are a temple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home