Exploring Egypt 1980

These images are from my first trip overseas when I was 27. Ancient Egypt fascinated me since childhood, so when I won a roundtrip airline ticket to anywhere in the world of my choice in 1980, Cairo was the immediate choice. None of my friends were able to go with me, so I went with a tour group. I recently discovered my slides were deteriorating so I finally scanned them.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Former Californian and Peace Corps Volunteer (Togo 1996-98). Weapon of choice: Canon Powershot A410. My occasionally updated blog is at http://roadtoveracruz.wordpress.com and another occasionally updated blog about my two-year stay in an African village is at http://handfulofmemories.wordpress.com

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Memphis



















South of Cairo is Memphis, the ancient capital of Upper Egypt. We visited an archaeological site where restoration work was being done on a number of recently discovered statues. Here we visited an open air museum which is little more than a building constructed over what remains of a statue of Rameses in order to protect it from the elements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home